Thursday, January 17, 2008

Review: Behringer Europower EP2500




The Behringer EP2500 constitutes my most recent audio purchase. Here are some quick stats on it that are straight from the booklet that came with it:

20 Hz - 20 kHz @.1% THD, both channels driven:
8 ohms per channel: 450 W
4 ohms per channel: 650 W
Bridged Mono:
8 ohms per channel, 20 Hz - 20 kHz: 1300 W

You can find the rest of the specifications, as well as much more, in the .pdf version of the manual here: http://rapidshare.com/files/84609418/Behringer_Power_Amps.pdf.html
(If this file becomes removed, which it will after a month of no downloads, simply send me an email and I'll re-up it and send you a copy. Alternatively, you can probably find it easily if you search.)

I am using this power amp to power both of my custom speakers. I'll make sure to take some pictures of them eventually, but for now you can just take my word for it. This amp is by far the best power and quality for the money. You can probably tell by now that I like to invest my money in the best item for its price range. Anyway, When I bought my speakers, the guy that made them told me they can run at up to 800 W and peak out at about 3200 W. This shows that since my speakers can handle the EP2500, any problems with sound should be coming from the other equipment or my audio source. After hooking up the amp and turning it up to just below clipping, the sound quality coming out of my speakers was great. The amp also has different settings for cutting out low frequencies that might damage speakers, etc.

Another perk to this power amp is that it outputs both speakon and regular audio cable, which is great for me since my speakers use the latter. It also has both XLR and 1/4" inputs, an option most power amps lack. So you say that the unbalanced 1/4" connector can provide a loss of sound quality if there is interference? Yes, it can. The flip side is, most people keep their power amp very close to where they are working to begin with (I have mine right next to all my stuff), so the distance from your source to the amp is extremely small. Over a small distance like that it's very unlikely that the signal will be muddled, and, frankly, 1/4" cables are much cheaper and easier to replace should anything happen.

Most people argue that Behringer sound quality is lower than similar products. This is true to an extent, since obviously they can't offer more power at a lower price just like that, but the fact of the matter is that the difference is almost negligent. If you have an extra couple hundred dollars to spend for a different brand power amp of the same power rating, great. Otherwise, the Behringer products are a perfect choice.

Once I get up enough money to purchase a sub or two, you can bet that I'll be using a Behringer to power them. For the best bang for your buck I gladly give Behringer power amps a 10/10.

No comments: