Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Review: Alesis Multimix 8 USB

For my first post I'd like to talk about the mixer I recently purchased: the Alesis Multimix 8 USB.



Specs:
8 channels (4 instrument/mic line-in with gain, 2 stereo line ins, 1 stereo aux send with 2 stereo aux returns, 1 stereo RCA in and out, headphone jack, stereo main mix out and stereo control room out)
USB connection to computer
100 options of sound effects like flange and delay
EQ for each channel
Phantom power for mic

So I bought this mixer with the hope that I would expand my talents to controlling my up and coming band's sound output and just generally making things sound and work better. Right off the bat I have to say that this mixer is the best thing I've ever spent $150 on.

The most important thing for me it turns out is the USB capabilities. When connected to my Dell laptop, the multimix acts as an external sound card: everything i play on my computer can be outputted straight into the mixer with no noticeable latency and any music from any device plugged into the mixer can be sent to my laptop. This opened up so opportunity for me to start making my own recordings.

The multimix is also the reason I got into dj'ing in the first place. After realizing I could output anything from my computer with such good quality and sound control I started messing around with mixing music. I now use the multimix as my external sound card during dj shows as well as band shows (during band shows, in addition to running most of the instruments through it i sometimes use it to add flavor to the mix with sounds and effects from my laptop).

One thing I have noticed does not work with the multimix for me is plugging a mic into any of the non XLR inputs. Technically sound does go through, but the volume is so insanely low when compared to the rest of the mix that its entirely inaudible. The only mic I currently own, however, only has a 1/4" plug so I will assume that the mixer lets mics sound good if they're plugged into their actual XLR slot.

Compared to other more expensive mixers, the multimix 8 definitely comes with less capabilities, but for its very affordable price, nothing even comes close in terms of value. This is why I rank the multimix at...

10/10 for quality on a budget

No comments: